Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Barack and the bird

I have been aware of a controversy over the last few days that I have hesitated to address in this blog: Did Obama give Hillary a "stealth 'finger'" in a speech shortly after the Pennsylvania debate?

This is one of those things that would, on the surface, reflect what many refer to as "silly season" in campaigns in the world of the 24 hour new cycle.

But an article on the American Thinker website raises an important question both ethically and politically. I recommend that you click on the links inside the article and watch the YouTube videos for yourself. If this was Obama's intent, and I repeat if, then it poses two big questions:

Will this help him get the loyalty of Hillary supporters after the convention?

Is this behavior appropriate for a president of the United States?

I am not unbiased as an observer of this election, so I can't say for certain where I stand on whether or not he intended to send this "message" to Hillary. But the question would not even be asked if there weren't already some concerns about Obama's thin skin in the early stages of this campaign. We have a long way to go and I am becoming persuaded that our election process is so long so that a candidate cannot hide who he truly is. Over time, the pressures and fatigue set in and you react in ways that drop the veil of the "public" person, and we get glimpses of who these people are, minus the manufactured slogans and managed image.

McCain has been through this for a long time and may be able to put up a better public front...or he may be who we think he is. Read that article from last night's post about the "Why can't I just eat my waffle" comment. I found it interesting because the background story is Obama's changed position on meetings with the press, now that the open adulation phase is over.

McCain is still...being McCain...answering questions until the reporters run out. He continues to woo the press and maintain complete press access.

Which attitude is more likely to serve the office of the president of the United States well?

No comments: